Pages

Sunday, May 15, 2011

The Day I almost Snubbed Jeff Monson

It was a busy Saturday. I had went to promote AdvoCare supplements at a local 5k race, then on to teach my wrestling class at the Herriman Rec Center. I had already missed the opportunity to train with Jeff the night before because I wasn’t able to get my schedule rearranged in time and I knew I couldn’t pass up this opportunity again!

Jeff was teaching a seminar at the UCTC gym at the VF Factory Outlet Mall in Draper, Utah and I figured if I could get the appointment with my strength coach pushed back a little I just might make it. All I can say is that I’m glad I was able to get things more squared away on Saturday! Whew!
Jeff taught some things for passing the guard that were great! They definitely sharpened up where I should be making some pressure adjustments and other nuance type movements. Then he showed us his underhook series from the bottom and that was also very enlightening. It added a few pieces to the puzzle for me.

After the seminar we were able to get some live grappling training in together and I enjoyed every minute of it! It really helped me see where I am at in comparison to the rest of the world and to one of the living legends of the sport of grappling. Jeff as you may or may not know has won the ADCC Submission Wrestling World Championships twice (he was a finalist 4 times) and also won FILA Grappling World Championships 2 times.

The first time I was able to train with Jeff was when we were team mates on the 2008 USA World Championship team at the FILA Grappling World Championships. Back then I really just wanted the opportunity to see where I stood against the best. I had a great time training the day before the tournament and felt if and when we met up against each other at the tournament that it would be a great match and one that I could possibly win. We did indeed meet up in the finals match for 1st and 2nd and Jeff won a hard fought decision against me.

I controlled very well against him on the feet and even was on top on his back (no hooks) at one point and made a small mistake that cost me a lot of points. In the last 30 seconds I was able to get a throw on him and landed in a position where I was able to threaten a submission but nothing more. At the time I was grateful to have competed at my best against the best in the world.

Getting another chance to compare myself to greatness was really exciting and I knew I couldn’t miss Saturday’s seminar and training. It was a great time and I was able to see where I need more work and also to see what was working for me. I was a bit surprised at some of the positions that I was able to reach and felt that I have come a long way since my previous encounter.

I was able to do a quick interview with Jeff about his training and how he has been able to keep so consistent at such a high level over such a long time. A lot of the things he talked about were philosophies that I had been practicing over the past few years and it was nice to feel like I am on the right track in that regard. One of the things that I think is most impressive about Jeff Monson is his consistency and his longevity. He burst onto the grappling scene at the 1999 ADCC World Championships and then has continued to make waves ever since. That’s 12 years of being at the top of the food chain!

For many who never get to the top even one time would be amazing but to be where Jeff has been over such a length of time is truly amazing. Check out his video interview here and find out what he has to say!

No comments:

Post a Comment